Here are some recommended reading material on acting, directing, design, and other aspects of theater.
A DIRECTOR PREPARES: SEVEN ESSAYS ON ART AND THEATRE by Anne Bogart
- Good direct insights into the directing and acting processes. (Kevin T. Houle)
MIS-DIRECTING THE PLAY by Terry McCabe
- An examination of the director’s role in the production process and a good source of directing insights. (Kevin T. Houle)
SANFORD MEISNER: ON ACTING by Sanford Meisner and Dennis Longwell
- An examination of Meisner's approach to the acting process, focusing on listening and honest reaction/interaction. (Kevin T. Houle)
TRUE AND FALSE: HERESY AND COMMON SENSE FOR THE ACTOR by David Mamet
- A brutally honest, no-nonsense approach to acting. (Kevin T. Houle)
TIPS: IDEAS FOR DIRECTORS by Jon Jory
- Insightful tips and anecdotes about directing (also wrote Tips: Ideas for Actors). (Kevin T. Houle)
AUDITION by Michael Shurtleff
- I found that one very useful years ago when I was starting out (Kristen Mathiesen)
Contact theater@LexHamArts.org or call 651-644-3366 for more information.
Return to Lex-Ham Community Theater home page
Last updated: 1/15/2004